BE PREPARED! Things you can do now that will make your home disaster claim go smoother
- Make an inventory list
- Go through each room of your home and take photos from each corner. Note the photos, art and other possessions. Take close-ups of items of exceptional value, whether sentimental or financial.
- List items on a spreadsheet, include model and serial numbers, manufacture dates, and other pertinent information.
- Include a general estimate of the quantity of everyday items like silverware, linens, and even clothing items. Ex: 10 Men’s T-shirts - XL, 4 men’s dress slacks - Size 34/32
- Scan or photograph important documents and save onto a flash drive.
These can help you obtain replacement documents, or file claims in the event your originals are destroyed. Don’t forget to include your inventory list. NOTE: keep this drive in a safe, fireproof location, or in a safe deposit box at the bank. Be sure to update the files every year, or any time something changes.
- Don’t hold on to junk!
Get rid of unused, broken, or unwanted items as soon as possible. When you have damage to your home, some or all of your contents, down to canned goods and refrigerated items, may have to be removed (and inventoried) during repairs. Save yourself and your SERVPRO technicians some time by throwing out or donating your unused items regularly.
- Schedule an insurance review with your agent.
Familiarize yourself with your coverages, limits, deductibles, and exclusions. Talking with your agent and asking questions ahead of time, will prevent unexpected and unwelcome surprises at claim time. Many times we depend on our agents to have us “fully covered”, but everyone is different, and so are our insurance needs.
- Lastly, if something should happen – DON’T TOUCH ANYTHING!
Call us at SERVPRO of Chester, Hardin, Henderson and McNairy Counties. Your first instinct in a disaster will be to try to restore order. You’ll want to pick up, or attempt to clean and sort damaged items. Truthfully, that’s the last thing you should do and here’s why:
- It may not be safe to be in your home, or to handle the contents. This will depend on the type and severity of damage, but safety must come first.
- You may inadvertently cause irreparable damage to your possessions. SERVPRO professionals are trained to handle contents, clean or contaminated, without causing further damage or contamination.
Call SERVPRO of Chester, Hardin, Henderson and McNairy Counties! We’re here for you 24/7!
CALL 731-983-0883 FOR ALL YOUR RESTORATION NEEDS
- Fire damage restoration
- Water damage restoration
- Bio-hazard remediation
- Mold remediation
- Carpet cleaning
- Duct cleaning