10 Essential Tasks You Can Do In A Weekend To Prepare For Colder Weather
It’s that time of year when things begin to cool down and all the activities of summer are wrapping up. Take the time to do these simple chores now, so you can relax and enjoy the cooler seasons.
- Clean your gutters – You know, you were going to do it this spring, but it was just too nice outside for chores. Well now’s the time to get those leaves cleaned out to prevent leaks and gutter deterioration. Hey, while you’re up there, take a look around on the roof. Check for missing or damaged shingles which can allow heat to escape, and water to seep in.
- Inspect and clean the furnace – Cleaning your furnace will ensure it’s running at optimal performance in the cold winter months. Be sure to inspect wiring and other moving parts for wear or damage.
- Inspect duct work – When it finally cools off a little, slip under the house or in your attic and check out the ducts. Clean and intact ducts will keep that warm air flowing throughout your home, and without those pesky bugs and viruses.
- Light up the early dark – Replace bulbs in your outside light fixtures, or install new, solar powered lights to help prevent accidents when you’re getting home after dark.
- Check for leaks – Check doors, window sills, and any other drafty areas that may allow your nice warm air to escape to the outside world. Caulk where you can, and throw a draft stopper under your exterior doors.
- Put your ceiling fans in reverse – Most ceiling fans have a switch for this. Switch to a clockwise rotation to push warm air down.
- Inspect and clean the chimney – Clean the soot and smoke from the chimney and check for cracks, gaps or other problems (birds’ nest, etc.). Check the flue for proper function.
- Change your air return filters and smoke or carbon monoxide detector batteries - Clean filters allows better air flow throughout your home so your furnace or central unit won’t have to work as hard.
- Inspect and insulate your pipes – Check for leaks, cracks or weak spots in your plumbing. Freezing temperatures can cause big problems for weak or cracked pipes. Go ahead and throw some insulation around them. You don’t want to be crawling around fixing leaks in those freezing temperatures.
- Let the sunshine in – open your curtains or blinds in the daytime to allow that warm sunshine to help warm your home, but be sure to close them at night to keep the cool night air from seeping in.
Congratulations Shawn Dill!
We couldn't let him leave without a good dose of silly string! We'll miss this guy!
Today we say goodbye to one of our favorite employees. Shawn Dill has been with SERVPRO of Chester, Hardin, Henderson and McNairy Counties for more than 8 years! As a project manager, an employee, and a co-worker, Shawn brings integrity, excellence, and laughter to all. We’re proud to have been a part of Shawn’s journey, and wish him all the best in his new adventures! Congratulations Shawn!
If you want to succeed you should strike out on new paths, rather than travel the worn paths of accepted success.- John D. Rockefeller
Chester, Hardin, Henderson and McNairy Counties 24 Hour Emergency Water Damage Service
SERVPRO of Chester, Hardin, Henderson and McNairy Counties is available 24 hours a day for water emergencies, large or small. When you are dealing with water damage, immediate action is crucial. A delay of just a few hours can greatly increase the severity of the water damage.
We Answer the Phone Ready to Help
Call Today - 1-855-983-0883
We understand that when you call us, you may be feeling confused, stressed, and vulnerable. You need an expert to guide you through this crisis. SERVPRO of Chester, Hardin, Henderson and McNairy Counties has the specific water damage training and experience to help you through this tough time. We specialize in water damage restoration—in fact, it's the cornerstone of our business.
What to Expect
When you call, we will ask several questions regarding your water damage emergency. These questions will help us determine what equipment and resources to bring, including how many trained SERVPRO Professionals may be needed.
Our SERVPRO Representative will ask several questions:
- Your name and contact information
- Your insurance information (if applicable)
- The street address of the water-damaged home or business
- When did the flooding or water damage occur?
- What caused the water damage (if known)?
- Is there electricity available (on-site)?
About SERVPRO of Chester, Hardin, Henderson and McNairy Counties
SERVPRO of Chester, Hardin, Henderson and McNairy Counties specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Conditions In Chester, Hardin, Henderson and McNairy Counties Might Be Right For Mold
SERVPRO of Chester, Hardin, Henderson and McNairy Counties knows what to do if mold grows in your home.
It’s estimated that more than 1 million types of mold exist, yet less than 10 percent have actually been named. This means mold is very common in both indoor and outdoor environments. While mold and humans can sometimes co-exist without issue, there are certain species of mold that can cause health effects for some people.
If the right conditions exist, mold will grow. Those conditions include:
- Water - Different mold types require varying amounts of liquid before growth begins.
- Temperature - Normal indoor temperatures will promote mold growth.
- Time - Initial mold colonizers can take hold within one day after being exposed to an adequate water supply.
Mold growth can occur in any home, so it’s important to keep an eye out for situations that might promote mold activity. Roof/chimney leaks, wet basements, or condensation from ducts that dampen surrounding insulation are just a few examples of issues that make a house a prime target for mold growth.
If you suspect mold in your home, call SERVPRO of Chester, Hardin, Henderson and McNairy Counties to assess the situation. We have the knowledge, tools and track record to effectively remediate mold in your home or business.
If you suspect mold, call us today at 855-983-0883
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of Chester, Hardin, Henderson and McNairy Counties for mold remediation services.
Faster to Chester, Hardin, Henderson & McNairy Counties Water Damage Event
Flooding and water emergencies don’t wait for regular business hours and neither do we. SERVPRO of Chester, Hardin, Henderson & McNairy Counties provides emergency cleaning and restoration services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week—including all holidays.
Faster To Any Size Disaster
Flooding and water damage is very invasive. Water quickly spreads throughout your home and gets absorbed into floors, walls, furniture, and more. SERVPRO of Chester, Hardin, Henderson & McNairy Counties arrives quickly and starts the water extraction process almost immediately. This immediate response helps to minimize the damage and the cleaning and restoration costs.
Need Emergency Service? Call Us 24/7 – 731-983-0883
Water Damage Timeline
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
Hours 1 - 24:
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears.
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may grow and spread.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint begins to blister.
- Wood flooring swells and warps.
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More Than 1 Week:
- Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.
- Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
About SERVPRO of Chester, Hardin, Henderson & McNairy Counties
SERVPRO of Chester, Hardin, Henderson & McNairy Counties specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
SERVPRO of Chester, Hardin, Henderson & McNairy Counties Smoke and Soot Cleanup
Smoke and Soot Damage Can Cause a Pervasive Odor in Your Chester, Hardin, Henderson & McNairy County Home.
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Chester, Hardin, Henderson & McNairy Counties will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – 731-983-0883
Our Highly Trained Restoration Specialists can restore your Chester, Hardin, Henderson or McNairy County Home
SERVPRO of Chester, Hardin, Henderson & McNairy Counties is an IICRC firm. The Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) creates the standards for the restoration industry and provides training and certification to restoration companies. IICRC Certified Firms have the right to display the IICRC Certified Logo.
IICRC Certified Firms must
• Present accurate information to consumers and conduct business with honesty and integrity.
• Require a technician on all jobs who has been formally trained and passed all required tests.
• Require a continuing education program to keep technicians up-to-date on the latest changes in the industry.
• Maintain liability insurance to protect all parties in the event of an accident.
• Maintain a written complaint policy and agree to Better Business Bureau or similar arbitration to resolve disputes, and accept the conclusions and recommendations of arbitration.
The IICRC Develops The Standards For The Restoration Industry
The IICRC has been the driving force in establishing the main industry standards and reference guides for professional carpet cleaning, water damage restoration and mold remediation. These IICRC standards take years to develop and require the coordination of experts in the field: manufacturers, industry organizations, insurance professionals, training schools, contractors, and public health professionals.
Every five years, the standards are reviewed and updated. The water damage restoration field changes rapidly with advancements in technology and science, and therefore the standards must evolve to keep pace.
About SERVPRO of Chester, Hardin, Henderson & McNairy Counties
SERVPRO of Chester, Hardin, Henderson & McNairy Counties specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration and we are an IICRC Certified Firm. We believe in continuous training: from initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Restoring Your Chester, Hardin, Henderson or McNairy County Commercial Property After A Water Damage Event
Flooding and water damage events at Chester, Hardin, Henderson or McNairy County commercial properties are often complex with numerous issues that require a knowledgeable and flexible response. Whether we’re dealing with a relatively small water cleanup scenario or a large scale event, we work quickly to assess each unique situation and isolate the damaged area. In many instances, normal operations can continue in a temporary space while we restore your facility.
Restoring Commercial Properties Presents Unique Challenges
Our professionals are trained to be mindful of legal and environmental concerns and strive to fully restore the damaged area while working within your budgetary constraints. We understand that every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we’ll be there fast with the help you need.
About SERVPRO of Chester, Hardin, Henderson & McNairy Counties
SERVPRO of Chester, Hardin, Henderson & McNairy Counties specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial and residential property after a water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
SERVPRO Named to Entrepreneur's Top 10 Franchise List for 7th Consecutive Year
GALLATIN, Tenn. (Grassroots Newswire) January 19, 2016 - SERVPRO, a cleanup and restoration franchise company, maintains its hold on the top ranking in the Restoration Services industry for the 13th consecutive year and moves up to the number four spot overall in the 2016 Franchise 500 rankings from Entrepreneur magazine. This is the seventh consecutive year SERVPRO has been included in the magazine's Top 10 list, standing out in a group of more than 951 franchises that qualified for inclusion in the list.
Entrepreneur magazine's Franchise 500 selection process uses "objective, quantifiable measures of a franchise operation" to help would-be entrepreneurs identify franchise investment opportunities. Some of the most important factors considered by Entrepreneur in developing the list each year are "financial strength and stability, growth rate and size of the system."
"This recognition affirms that SERVPRO is a dynamic organization that continues to grow and strives to always provide superior support for its franchisees, and by extension its customers," said Sue Steen, SERVPRO Industries, Inc., chief executive officer. "The recognition that the company earns year after year in this prestigious list is confirmation of a commitment to excellence that starts at the top and is evident in the service that each franchisee provides to each and every customer."
According to Steen, a number of differentiators set SERVPRO apart from the competition and fuel the attractiveness of the company to both existing franchisees and would-be entrepreneurs looking for a strong business opportunity. Key among these are:
- SERVPRO's strength as a brand with a national footprint, wide-spread market penetration, laser-focused brand messaging, and the ability to create national partnerships with organizations such as the PGA TOUR and the American Red Cross.
- SERVPRO's commitment to being a learning organization, which keeps training and support at the forefront of the company's culture and philosophy of success and helps franchisees plan, track, and deliver best-in-class services to consumers.
- SERVPRO's focus on continued development and support for proprietary software and systems to allow the company's operational capacity to keep pace with an aggressive growth strategy.
Steen adds, "One of the potential pitfalls of growing too quickly is outpacing your capacity to train and support the franchisees. SERVPRO is a conservative company, and early on we took the time to build a strong system and put the building blocks in place to support growth without sacrificing support to our franchisees." "Today," Steen continues, "as a mature franchise organization with more than 1,700 locations under a single brand, recognition like this makes it clear we are reaping the rewards of having laid a solid foundation and a framework to handle quick growth. As our brand continues to grow, we will continue our winning strategy of supporting and improving upon our infrastructure and investing resources in training and support."
SERVPRO specializes in fire and water cleanup and restoration services, helping both commercial and residential customers recover from property damage emergencies "Like it never even happened." For more fire prevention tips and information about fire and water damage restoration services, please visit www.SERVPRO.com/.
Founded in 1967, the SERVPRO Franchise System is a national leader and provider of fire and water cleanup and restoration services and mold mitigation and remediation. SERVPRO's professional services network of more than 1,700 individually owned and operated Franchises responds to property damage emergencies ranging from small individual disasters to multi-million dollar losses. Providing coverage in the United States and Canada, the SERVPRO System has established relationships with major insurance companies and commercial clients, as well as individual homeowners.